Forum rules - please read before posting.

Add a hover label to a trigger?

edited November 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hey AC Community:

Currently I have a 2D trigger that allows my player to pass from one scene to the next when they walk over it.  I was curious if there was a standardized way to add a hover label over the trigger (like a tooltip), so that when a player mouses over the trigger, they are able to see the name of the next scene they are going to?

I was able to get this working by doing the following:
  1. Creating a hotspot
  2. Labeling the hotspot with the next scene name
  3. In the cursor manager, creating a new icon named "Walk to", with an empty image so the console wouldn't bark at me.
  4. Creating a 2D marker within the area of the trigger.
  5. Providing a walk to action for the hotspot of just walking to the marker.
But then I got to thinking, we have this awesome forum here, so why am I reinventing the wheel?  

So, if there's an easier way to add mouse hover labels to 2D triggers, could you please let me know?

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• It also looks like I can achieve a similar effect by deleting the trigger entirely, putting a walk to point in the center of a hotspot, and assigning the interaction as a scene change.
  • Welcome to the community, @TheSpaceMaster.

Indeed, your second post is the answer I'd be suggesting.  Hover labels are intended for Hotspots only, while Triggers are intended to be "invisible" to the player.

Your first steps are actually used by the 2.5D tutorial, so it's certainly not re-inventing the wheel - but either method is fine.
  • Thank you, Chris - I'll look forward to watching the 2.5D tutorial too!

Best,

Rob