Forum rules - please read before posting.

Save/Load Problems

Hi,

after always having problems with saving and loading games, we updated to Adventure Creator 1.60.2 (and Unity 2017.2). The new system seems to help us, but we're still experiencing a few weirdnesses we still have to figure out.
It somehow seems that we see problems we have in Builds directly while in the editor they only occur when we save and load a scene. For example: In one scene we had a character that in the build was suddenly turned upside down. In the Unity Editor this didn't happen. But when we then saved and loaded the scene in the Editor, we suddenly experienced the same bug we saw in the Build without saving and loading.
In this case, we could solve the problem with removing the RememberNPC script from the character which wasn't needed for this character anyways. The character is rotated around 180° - RemeberNPC destroys this rotation when loading the scene. This might be a whole different thing to discuss.
We'd like to find out if there's any way to force the editor to show the same behavior as builds since bugs in the builds now often come as a surprise to us. Do builds handle the remember scripts differently than the editor? If the character was turned upside down in the Editor earlier, we would have found that bug much easier. I suspect that there are a lot more bugs we only see in builds or when loading within the Editor right now. 
Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Comments

• edited November 2017
    What platform are you building to, and what are your full "Save game settings" at the top of the Settings Manager?

AC's code is largely the same when running in builds vs the Editor, but if you're running on a separate device than the one you're working on then there may be something specific to that device that causes a difference.

If you can post the issues with full details, ideally with steps to reliably recreate them, then I'll of course look into them.
  • Max number of saves: 31
    Save filename: unforeseen
    Enable save game profiles: yes
    Time distplay: Date only
    Take screenshots when saving: yes
    Order save list by update time: no
    Save in JSON: yes (but we might change that back to no!)

We're using Cloud Build to create the builds. We're testing on Windows and on Mac and had the bugs on both OS.

We solved the problem above now with rotating the child instead of the NPC object itself and kept the Remember script to avoid other problems. It was still weird the bug only occured in Editor after loading and in the build directly. 

I'm not sure about recreating the bug unfortunately. If I stumble upon a similar problem, I will post it with the details I have. We're using an own animation system with rigged 2D characters which complicates recreating this specific issue. We're usnig the Character Animation Engine "Sprites Unity Complex" in AC. Maybe creating such an NPC rotated around 180° in Z will reproduce the problem, but then again, maybe not, since our system is rather complex.

If you don't have an idea, don't worry to much about this for now and I will just get back to you if I stumble upon the problem elsewhere again. 

Thank you!
  • edited November 2017
    There is a key issue with saving to Json in that problems arise if you have multiple Remember components attached to a single GameObject.  Unfortunatley this is down to a limitation with the format (or at least its compatibility with AC) rather than AC by itself.  I've updated the Manual in the most recent release to reflect this.

I would recommend disabling Json and seeing if that makes a difference.