Forum rules - please read before posting.

Actions removed from interactions after update

After updating to version 1.6 I noticed one of my Interactions I had built had all but 1 of the actions removed. Is it better to just us action list assets or is there a way to avoid this?

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Sorry for the trouble.  ActionList assets and scene-based ActionLists share the same code, so that won't make a difference.

It shouldn't be that updating affects your Actions, however.
    • What previous AC version were you upgrading from?
    • What Unity version are you using, and on what platform?
    • Are you making use of any custom Actions?
    • What Actions were removed and what remained?
    • Did you revert back to your own game's Managers after updating, or were the Demo game's loaded at the time?
    • Were any other ActionLists (scene and asset based) affected?
  • Hi,
    No trouble really compared to the huge amount of trouble AC has saved me.
    • What previous AC version were you upgrading from?  1.59a
    • What Unity version are you using, and on what platform? Unity 5.6.0f3 on 64-bit Windows 10
    • Are you making use of any custom Actions? No
    • What Actions were removed and what remained? Dialogue Play Speech remained while the following were removed: Variable Check, Variable Set, 2 Action List Run and a Inventory Add/Remove. 
    • Did you revert back to your own game's Managers after updating, or were the Demo game's loaded at the time? Demo game's were loaded initially after upgrade, then I changed back to my custom managers.
    • Were any other ActionLists (scene and asset based) affected? That is what I am unsure of, from what I can tell no but I have not retested all interactions yet. This is the second time I noticed the actions being removed after an upgrade though. I was thinking if I use Action List assets instead, at least I could overwrite the broken one with a backup version.
    Thanks for any advise you can offer. 
  • edited November 2017
    Demo game's were loaded initially after upgrade, then I changed back to my custom managers.

To be really clear: this was before you then loaded up / viewed the affected Interaction?

This behaviour should never happen, but so far as restoring broken lists go - yes, assets would be a safer choice.  Cutscenes and Interactions can be converted to ActionList assets automatically from the cog menu at the top of their Inspectors.

Do you have a backup of the pre-update project that can be tested with?  It's not an issue I can recreate, but does need addressing.
  • As others haven't reported this issue - and you say this has happened to you before - I wonder if this is down to something unique to your project.  Are you using version control?  What is your "Asset Serialization" setting set to?
  • I changed back to my customer managers before checking and noticing the affected interaction. Nothing worked and I got a bunch of errors prior to switching back to my custom managers so I switched those first.

I do have a pre-update backup of the project folder if you would like to take a look. I am not using version control, just copying the project folder and appending with a date. 

Asset Serialization is set to Mixed. 

Oh and Unity version is 2017.1.1f1 (64-bit) not the older version I listed previously. 

This is my first Unity project and I have been doing this on my own (besides some help from you and this helpful forum) so I would not be surprised if the issue has something to do with my setup. 

Thanks again.

• The bunch of errors you say may well be key - what were they?

Yes, please PM me the project - but please remove any graphical and audio assets from it first, as they take up space and won't be necessary when it comes to testing.
  • The errors were like "No Player Found" and NullReferenceException but those make sense because those things are defined in the scene managers and the errors disappear after I load in all the cust managers. 

After the upgrade the Interaction that is removing the actions is named "YellowstonePic: Look at". I tried again this morning and the actions are still being removed. Hopefully you see the same thing when you test. I have sent the project to your PM.

Thank you.