Forum rules - please read before posting.

Simulate taken pictures in inventory

I'd like to give the player option to take a picture of an object and add to a picture inventory.  Just wondering if anyone has done something like that and any suggestions on how to do it.  

I'm thinking I could add a name of object to the picture inventory for each simulated picture, then use that to lookup and display the object if player wants to review the pictures.  

Any thoughts?

Comments

• As of the latest release, it's possible to use Render Textures as inventory item graphics.  You could also take a literal screenshot of the portion of the screen and create a new texture from it.  Both would require a little custom scripting though, and you'd have to find a way to store the data in save files.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you'd allow the player to snap "anything" vs only a select few things - as that would determine whether or not you need to have a dynamic system that can cater for anything, or just a way of bringing in a select few pre-made pictures.

If the latter, you may just be able to create one item for each possible photo, with a pre-assigned graphic, and just add the correct one to the player's inventory at runtime.
  • That's great.  I will check it out.