Forum rules - please read before posting.

Only Left and Right Movement

edited September 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hello Everybody,

Im totally new with AC and sorry if the question is a bit basic.

I am wondering how if i only need my character only able to move left and right, what should i do with the navmesh? im planning to have the player character to move just like a normal side scroller but with mouse click.

Please help with this problem, and sorry if someone already posting the same thing, i cant found one.

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @priabudiman.

I'm assuming that this for a point-and-click game in 2D, so please correct me if not.

The NavMesh needs to have some amount of depth to it, even if the player shouldn't visibly move up and down.  This is necessary both for movement to work, and for the mouse clicks to be able to "catch" onto the NavMesh.

You should be able to get by with a very thin NavMesh so that the player effectively only moves left and right.  You can also arrange your character's animation properties so that he has no "up" / "down" animations.  How exactly you do that will depend on your chosen animation engine, but one way to do it is to simply create up and down animations that are just one-frame of the player facing left or right - so that they exist but never show the player as facing that way.
  • thank you @chrisicebox ;

basically, yeah, thats exactly what im trying to do. so i will have to create as minimum as possible/thin navmesh. got it, and the for animation itself i havent decide yet, currently i have the frame by frame animation, but im thinking of learning how to make a skeletal based animation.