Forum rules - please read before posting.

Save button disappears from ActionList

edited August 2017 in Technical Q&A
So the long story short is that I basically had to switch pause menus through ActionLists to allow a HUD graphic to use transitions since crossfading pause menus also transitions the gameplay graphic (even though I told it to turn off on pause).

In any case, I got a system working with ActionLists but for some reason, whenever I press the back button on the Load/Save/Options menus, the Save button on the Pause menu disappears. I tried making both this button and the Save menu from scratch and the same thing happens. I even started a new project with the AC demo and gave the Save menu an ActionList to see if I missed something else.

ActionList for Save menu off: Turn off menu: Save -> Turn on menu: Pause

It had the same exact effect. Is this a bug, or am I missing something? Because this makes no sense whatsoever.

And while we're at it, I think it would be useful if crossfading menus preserved the "pause" state instead of allowing a nanosecond of gameplay between them.

Comments

• The Crossfade feature is a convenience tool in that it will automatically turn off everything else in order to show the new one specified.  But for proper control, ActionLists should be used.

The "Save" button is hidden automatically whenever saving is not possible.  It is likely that it is not possible at the time you describe due to the ActionList you're running having a When running field set to Pause Gameplay.  This is one of the conditions for which saving is prevented - see Section 9.1 in the latest release's Manual.

Try setting it to Run In Background and see if it then behaves as intended.

The nanosecond of gameplay is likely caused by the same ActionList's Unfreeze 'pause' Menus? property, which is automatically prevented when set to Run In Background - so that should fix both issues.
  • That did it. Thanks, Chris!