Forum rules - please read before posting.

Trigger does not always activate on load

Hello there,
I have quite frustrating problem, title might not say much, but I will try to give as much detail as possible.

I've got an action list with QTE sequences. To make it more 'user friendly' I wanted the game to be saved on start of that action list, which equals to entering the trigger and load saved game on player's fail. It does work, but sometimes, despite player spawning in the trigger, it does not activate.
One of two QTE action lists

Trigger settings.

For me it happens every 3-4 times. On 3rd try player does not move automatically to point and QTE sequence is working. If I fail it again, it won't start anymore. 
Also, if player won't move, I can move it with the any of the direction keys (it will always move to the point) and if I fail again, trigger seems to be working, but this time reproduction is more random.

If you need any more details I will try to provide it.

Regards,
Alex

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @AlexWaw.

When posting issues, please always be sure to also include version numbers of both AC and Unity, in case this is something version-dependent.

What do you mean about the player "moving to the point"?  Which point are you referring to?  Is this something related to the ActionList?

It's not advised to save/load your game mid-sequence, as AC makes the assumption when saving that you're doing so during regular gameplay - see Section 9.1 of the Manual in the latest release.  I suspect that this issue is a combination of this along with the way Unity behaves with Triggers: it may be that it hasn't recognised the player as having left its boundary in order for the "On Enter" to work.

You could try changing the Trigger's Trigger type field to Continuous, and then turning it off once the Object: Send message Action after the save, so that it still effectively only runs one.

However, I would recommend that you instead do away with saving completely and instead simply perform the "reloading" sequence manually - i.e. re-position the player, reset any necessary animation, etc through Actions rather than saving/loading the game.

I would also recommend disabling the Trigger here as well: as the QTE itself is in another ActionList, you could simply re-run this ActionList asset manually as opposed to having the Trigger pick up on it.  This way, you have complete control over which Actions / sequences are run.
  • Thanks for quick response!

My Unity version is 5.5.3f1 and AC is on 1.58, I forgot to mention, sorry.

Points are markers on the scene where player is forced to move to make the gameplay more smooth. Character: Move to point in this ActionList are responsible for that.

Right now I am using another save point, which is right before that QTE and works properly. For now it will do, since it's pre-prototype state of production. If I have any problems in the future I will probably bump this up!

Thanks for help!