Forum rules - please read before posting.

Journal Help

edited July 2017 in Technical Q&A
Thanks in advance for any help, I've tried for a week to get this to work. Also, in advance, I'm more artist than coder.

I tried to create from the tut on how to do the Journal/Diary (Unity UI version) but I couldn't get it to work properly for some reason. I finally copy and pasted the "ingame" menu and redid it to be the diary (AC version). It works great.

I have the journal set up that you can turn on and off each page as you go through (through arrows and turning on a menu), but is there a way to randomly add menu pages when you're adding them as a separate page? For example, the journal adds page 2 in room A and either page 5 or 6 in room B, the arrow doesn't know what menu to pull up if you pick page 6. I wanted to use the "check state" option but I was so afraid that it would break the game if it had too many "check states", it would have to have a lot. Should I just force the game to add pages in the right order? If that's the right answer, I'm okay with that. I just want to not waste time if it's too complicated, but if it's an easy fix, then I'd love to have it done properly.

Thanks again!

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Mobile_PNC.

Apologies, but you're going to have to describe a little more about what it is you have.  I don't know what you mean by "the arrow" you mention.  If you can share screenshots showing your Menu, that would be great.

So far as controlling the order in which journal pages goes, you can do this by using Global Variables.  You can create a Boolean variable for each page, named e.g. "Page 2 is collected" etc.  When you add a page, you then set it's associated Variable to True (using the Variable: Set Action).

Each time you want to add a random page, you can then run a single ActionList asset that uses the Variable: Check random number Action to pick a random page number.  It then checks the value of that page's variable, and if it's True then pick another random number - and if False then add that page.

I can provide an image showing the ActionList arrangement I mean if you need one.
  • edited July 2017
    Thank you so much for the quick reply! I also apologize for not being clearer. I was talking about the navigating arrows like you have in your diary tutorial (right and left arrows and you call them "Page Left" & "Page Right"): http://www.adventurecreator.org/tutorials/creating-diary-system

Your order explanation is perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for. I think I wasn't searching properly for this information. If you have time, a screenshot would be greatly appreciated since I'm a visual person. I will try step-by-step from your directions (in combo with your other tuts) in the meantime.

Just so you know, you've made my day since I really wanted this to work. :)
  • Sure, basically something like this (using 3 pages as an example):

http://imgur.com/PChtl38

• edited July 2017
    Thanks again, I'm excited to get going on it again and your photo is a life-saver.
  • While I'm waiting for a reply on another topic, I'll update what I did for this, just in case someone else needs help. What I did was (and this is probably not the perfect way, but it works) is the following:

• For every room, I had a set amount of pages in the journal.
    • Every time the player went through a door to a new room, it would open up that room's journal pages.
    • The arrows were done through buttons on the menu that would lead to the next page (each page was set in a certain spot).
    • There was a menu for every page.
    • Each journal page was a menu with elements.
    • Each journal page's elements included a 'missing items' page and a 'found' page.
    • When an item was picked up, the 'missing items' page would be turned off and the 'found' page would be turned on.
    Hope that helps someone. :)