Forum rules - please read before posting.

Bug with inventory items disappearing since 5.6 Update

Hi guys,

I have both Dialog System and Adventure Creator and it has always been working perfectly.
However, since the last unity update (and consequently AC and DS updates) we came across an unexpected behaviour.
Basically what happens is the following:

1- I have an action list in which the first action is a DS conversation. That conversation has "wait until finish" unticked so that while the dialog is still running 2- Adventure Creator moves to the next action.
3- After that action I add an object to the inventory
4- And I play a little pick up sound

What happens is that after the dialog conversation ends (it's basically him talking to himself) the inventory object I added to the inventory disappears!
It took me a while to understand what was happening but basically, if I tick "wait until finish", effectively making the game wait until it moves from the DS action to the next AC action, everything works fine and the inventory item persists.

I am quite certain this one is a bug but the crux is going to find out if it's AC or DS. Can you assist?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,

Duarte

Comments

• Is your inventory displayed with AC or Unity UI?  It may be that it is not being displayed, rather than not present.

It could well be down to the DS Action - if it were somehow removing the item some time after its initially called, then having it run alongside other Actions would cause it to do so after all the others.  You should contact @PixelCrushers to see if he can shed some light.

If you're up for some debugging, you could try placing a Debug line in the two Remove functions inside the RuntimeInventory.cs script:

Around lines 481 and 500, there are two functions named Remove (one after the other).  Placing the following code just inside them should have the Console show a message whenever an Action removes an item:

Debug.Log ("Removed an item!");

If it shows at the time that this issue occurs, what does the complete error message say, as shown when selected in the Console window?
  • edited July 2017
    @kyuubi - The Dialogue System Extras page contains an updated integration package that addresses the issue.

When a Dialogue System conversation starts, by default the Dialogue System copies AC's item counts into its own item table so you can check and change values using the Dialogue System's standard item table facilities. (It's done this way mostly to make it easy to work with in Chat Mapper.)

When the conversation ends, the Dialogue System copies these counts back into AC, overwriting any changes to item counts that you may have made with AC actions during the conversation.

The updated integration package adds checkboxes that let you specify what, if anything, to copy between AC and the Dialogue System. Untick the Copy Dialogue System To AC Item Counts checkbox. 

Alternatively, leave the checkbox ticked, and add the item by incrementing the Count field of the Dialogue System's version of the item instead of using an AC action.

The updated support package will also be in the next regular Dialogue System release (version 1.7.4).
  • Thank you both your the awesome support.
    Tony's update solves the issue.
    Cheers!