Forum rules - please read before posting.

Using Direct Control

Im interested in adapting my current 2D Point & Click game to use Direct Control. (Left stick to move the Player, Right stick to move the Cursor, custom buttons for the interactions).  Are there any good tutorials for this?  Im not sure how to get started.  And is there a way to swap between control schemes on the fly? (Via Menu options?)

Comments

• For Direct control, the scene setup is largely similar between 2D and 3D games: player movement is restricted by the use of Colliders that prevent movement.

Make sure your Player has a Rigidbody2D and a Circle Collider on his base.  Then place down 2D colliders (start with a simple Box Collider 2D to test with) in the scene to limit where he can go.

The movement method can be changed at runtime with the Engine: Manage systems Action.  To have this stored in Options Data, so that it is separate to save game files, follow this tutorial.  A custom Action is not necessary - you can use the Global Variable used in the tutorial to run the Engine: Manage systems Action accordingly instead.
  • I've successfully figured out how to get my character to work under direct control using the LEFT stick (and it feels great!) but I have not yet figured out how to control the Cursor with the RIGHT stick on a controller.  
  • Please see the Manual's Section 2.3 for a description of the inputs that Direct control makes use of.  The Horizontal and Vertical inputs are used to move the player, so you will have to remap those to make use of your controller's right-stick.