Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unable to get Player Vicinity to work

Hello

I have been unable to get Hotspot Detection - Player Vicinity to work in 3D. Im also using Opsive Third Person Controller

The hotspots aren’t being detected, and the items with hotspots are not highlighted. 

Using Adventure Creator 1.5.7 Unity 5.6.1f1

Some of the settings in the Unity Editor are different to the tutorials, so I might have missed something.

1. Created empty object and sphere collider. Added as child to Player. Added Hotspot detector component.  Even added a Rigidbody and added to Ignore Raycast layer.

2. Dragged Hotspot detector to Player script.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/2OXhrHX.png[/img]

3. Change hotspot settings in Settings tab to Player Vicinity.  

[img]http://i.imgur.com/9NJVoro.png[/img]

4. Created new hotspot over object and added highlight to object. Dragged Highlight  to Hotspot inspector

When the player walks over , object is not highlighted. Not even the label comes up.

Would really appreciate any hints what I have done wrong ! 

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @SlamDaBrakes.

It looks like AC hasn't been fully installed - you should be seeing a more nicely-styled Player Inspector rather than a straight list of fields.  Is this the Player script file you're viewing, or the Player component on your actual Player prefab?  Let's see a shot of your Player's full Inspector.

Check that there is a "PlayerEditor" script present in your /Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Charactor/Editor folder.  If not, you may have deleted it / not imported it, in which case you should re-import Adventure Creator from the Asset Store.

If you are still having problems, try placing the Demo game's player, Tin Pot, in your scene and test with him.  He is equipped with a Hotspot Detector already, and he can be found in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Demo/Resources.  A Player prefab placed in the scene file manually will override the default one set in the Settings Manager when the scene is run.
  • Thanks for the welcome ! 

I have got it working now, but had to re-install Unity and Adventure Creator. The Player script still looks the same though. This is the player component on the prefab. The CharEditor is present in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Character/Editor folder.

This is a screen shot on a new install of Mac OS X Unity 5.6.1f1 and AC 1.5.7. Is this right ?  

• No, it's not - even the Paths component above is mis-showing fields (on a character, the Paths component should be empty).

This is what it should look like:

http://imgur.com/a/u7QS4

Are you getting any error messages in the Console?  What happens if you add the "Char" script on a new GameObject?  You should get a message about it not being suitable if AC is correctly installed.  Try also the "Hotspot" script on another - that should be styled as well.
  • Worked it out. My Inspector was in debug mode !  

Changed back to Normal and all working smoothly now. Hotspot is detected by new character so I am using that now. Thanks so much for your help.