Forum rules - please read before posting.

Narration Text Scroll Audio - Change?

Hey everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with a way of changing the 'Narration Text Scroll Audio' via an action of some sort - I've got two protagonists in my game and they (along with tons of other characters) all have their own little 'voices' now, but I'm unfortunately stuck with having a common sound file for all narration, rather than being able to change it so I can have two different narration voices.

Let me know if anyone knows how to do it! Thanks!

- Will

Comments

• Any field in the Managers can be changed through script - right-click on the field's label to copy the API reference to the text buffer.  You can then amend its value at runtime via a custom Action.
  • Thanks Chris! I gave it my best shot, but I don't think I know how to do this.I'm trying to expose a public string variable in the editor that will allow me to input the name of a character, and use a specific file for their narrated lines accordingly. I guess it might also be simpler if I could simply expose the 'AudioClip' in the editor and then change it in an action directly, though I feel even further away from knowing how I could do that.

Please have a look at my code below - or anyone else is free to as well! - and let me know where it's off-track? Thanks!

• Someone already did something like this before. And although he wanted to have a random syllables effect, the idea is the same. In your case you may want to take a look at AC's scripting events in the API (since you just want to change it by Character, no?).
  • Please note that this isn't a coding forum, and you're making quite a few basic script errors that are beyond the scope of AC's technical support.

However, the main thing is that you aren't exposing the fields to edit in your ShowGUI function, so you aren't able to set the name of the speaking character etc.

This should be correct: http://pasteall.org/418768/csharp

However, I'm not sure it's necessary to even make use of custom code.  You can still make a "fake narrator" by providing an NPC with no graphics.  Subtitle menus can be limited per-character (so you can still have narrator-esque UIs when they speak), and NPCs can be given their own scroll audio.
  • Thanks to both of you! I'll check this stuff out and fix it one way or another. :)