Forum rules - please read before posting.

Multiple Ambience themes/background music

edited April 2017 in Technical Q&A
Hello there!

I'm starting to use AC, and I have encountered the problem of having to choose a track whenever I want to play more than one background song.

I found a way through by creating another Sound prefab (apart from the Default one), assign the clip I want to play, and then select the play on awake and the loop checkboxes (all this in the inspector). That way, that clip will play through the scene. Also, I need to check the SFX checkbox on the Sound script, since selecting Music instead brings back the issue.

But I want to ask what is the correct way of doing this, because my solution seems pretty poor and not scalable at all. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Well, in most cases ambiance and background music are separate things (and in 3D games, specially, you'll find yourself changing the ambient sound depending on the area/room of the level the player is in). So you will usually just depend on hand placed AudioSources for ambient sounds. You still can control these directly by using actions under the sound category though. Just think of these as sfx instead of music (so use the Play action instead of the Play Music action). There, you will have all the options to change/play/stop/fadeIn/fadeOut, loop or not loop, any track in an audiosource.
  • Yes, that's my thought too.  AC's music system works on the assumption that only one track is playing at a time (except during crossfading).

Treating your music tracks like ambient SFX tracks should be just fine.