Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible to use AC with other game template systems?

Hi, I have been using Adventure Creator for a long time now, and have made many small games using just AC, with some additional bits and bobs done in Play Maker. And..
I LoVE IT!!!
Most of my games are perfect for the AC concept, conversations, item finding, crafting and general adventure puzzles.
Now I want to make something a bit more... er... violent LOL...
Now I have found another game template system, quite bad to be honest, it just happens to contain many of the features I will need. But... I HATE to start from scratch and re-learn all the general game making perfection that AC has outa the box.
Talking, player choosing, camera switching, cut scenes, save load screen... etc.
Now I know there is a pretty good connection with UFPS, which has more fighting style stuff in it, but what of other systems? How much work is it to change or add into another system?
Ideally, I would use this other system for its player controller (many more action style things included, like climbing and punching and swimming etc) weapons, Enemy AI..... use it for its inventory system, and item control, reading of notes and use of keys and locks and doors etc. BUT.. I would REALLY want to use AC for cutscenes, conversation, scene switching, camera control, save and load, in other words, The Big Stuff... but using this other system for the player stuff.

HAs anyone had any luck with this, or is it all just too tied into the AC layer system.
Ideally I would love to simply drop my "other player" into the player slots on the game tab.

Mark

Comments

• edited April 2017
    Well, you can use any character controller with AC. The problem is getting AC to control it during cutscenes. You'll need the controller to have external control in mind, usually by having a public "target" field where the controller will move if assigned (like you'll see with assets like the Motion Controller). This way you can make an integration script for it (there's a good example in the text tutorials). 

I don't see why everything else wouldn't work, you don't always need external functionality to integrate with AC. The only case you could want that, is if you want to let AC handle saving data (in which case you could modify the scripts to write to an AC global variable, which will be saved automatically by AC).
  • Alverik said>
    Well, you can use any character controller with AC.

Really? What do you mean? I am pretty sure I have tried to drag another character prefab into the AC Player slots... 
    but you are meaning.. Just the movement scripts (animation etc)?
    What if I simply added the AC Player script to the "other" systems Player set-up... would that not clash?

Alverik said
    (there's a good example in the text tutorials). 

OFF TO READ THE LINK...
    YEs that does look promising... so its about playing around with the settings for the controller, setting to custom etc...

Alverik said
     The only case you could want that, is if you want to let AC handle saving data (in which case you could modify the scripts to write to an AC global variable, which will be saved automatically by AC).

Ahh.. yes of course.-.. 
    THAT could be problematic... ( I am unfortunately no-coder)
  • edited April 2017
    Yes, you just have to tell the AC Player/NPC script that movement and/or animation will be dealt with externally (in this case by the third party character controller).

Well, if that game template takes care of saving it's own stuff then it's not a problem. If not, manipulating global variables through script is not that hard (easier than writing to PlayerPrefs in code yourself,and do it correctly,  which you would need to do if he doesn't have his own save system). 

You can find the relevant AC examples here and here. Then all you got to do is ask the author of the other asset to tell you where the relevant variables are (and/or you could even ask him help to put together the integration).
  • Using AC with other game template assets inevitably requires coding of some kind - though AC tries to keep this to a minimum / as simple as it can be when possible.

One non-coding trick is to make use of the Engine: Manage systems Action, which allows you to independently disable any of AC's systems (player movement, menus, etc), so that you can replace any of them with your own.

However, there's no "standard" way to go about this - as your requirements will inevitably vary from game to game, and asset to asset.