Forum rules - please read before posting.

Randomised idle pose variants

edited August 2014 in Technical Q&A
[amended - I should probably mention if its pertinent I am focussing on 2D using Unity 2D] 
I imagine there will be a way to code this but I'm wondering if its already a feature of AC that I haven't been able to spot:

1) Can you make the character perform different idle poses, say scratching head or tapping foot etc in a random pattern?

2) Also, would there be a simple way to have these active idle animations kick in from a static idle pose after a pause of a few seconds?

I have seen these in a number of adventure games in the past and many people will probably have as well. I'm guessing it would be popular because it keeps the game a little more interesting even when the user is sitting thinking but not making the player character move.

Comments

• 1) You can change the Idle pose at random by using the Variable: Check random number Action.  This will basically cause one of it's linked Actions (best to use the node-based ActionList Editor window for this) to be chosen at random.  Set each of these linked Actions to Character: Animate, choose Set Standard, and use to set a different idle animation in each.

2) Not at the moment, though you could try replacing your "static idle + active idle" with one longer animation that contains both.
  • edited August 2014
    Thanks Chris

I did think, as you suggest, to set an idle pose animated to be static for say four seconds and then after a static key frame then start to  'move'. I assume this wouldn't take much data space?

So using your solution to 1) above and this for 2) that should achieve it.
  • If you're using Mecanim for your animation, you could of course do this through your FSM.  When it comes to Mecanim integration, AC is designed to give the user more control (whereas Legacy is designed the other way around - it'll have more control, but will be more limited).  A simple AnimationEvent called when your FSM's Idle animation plays could be used to "follow up" with a different active animation each time.  All AC does, so far as idle/movement animations goes in Mecanim, it output the speed as a float parameter.  It's up to the designer to decide what to do with it.