Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best Way to have Dialogue with a next button

Hello,

I would really like to have an easier approach of making this possible:

Dialogue text (tutorial for the first time players)
So sentence 1, a next button to go to sentence 2 when player is ready.
Sentence 2, with the next button to go to 3.. and so forth.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

I played around with conversations and dialogue, hoping that I'm doing something wrong and that there is a better way to accomplish this without the much time consuming approach currently.

Of course in throughout the game there will be levels where the player gets a hint, etc. which can be discontinued with perhaps an "OK" button. 

Thank you.

Comments

• First, go to your Speech Manager and check Display subtitles forever until user skips it?.

You can then skip speech by invoking the SkipSpeech input.  You can map this to a keyboard press, or to a Menu Button by having that Button simulate that input.

However, this mode will also allow speech-skipping when the mouse buttons are clicked.  I will amend this, or give an option to rely only on the SkipSpeech input, in the next update.
  • Great,

This certainly helps out a lot. I'll keep an eye out for that update/option.

Can you please provide me with the proper coding I would need to do to Change this via script (that way only at times this is an option, and at others text shows and disappears on its own, without allowing them to skip).

• edited February 2017
    Any Manager field can be manipulated via script by right-clicking that field's label and choosing Copy script variable from the drop-down menu that appears.  You can then paste that variable into a script to manipuate it at runtime:

AC.KickStarter.speechManager.displayForever

That, and other variables, are also listed in the scripting guide.
  • edited March 2017
    Amazing, I never tried right clicking on those, innovative! 

As always, thank you for your great wisdom that you bestow upon us.