Forum rules - please read before posting.

Creating trading card game suggestions

Hello Chris, im trying to create TDC style game using adventure creator. Im curious about DECK creation and randomizing draw deck solution. Im using containers for "battlefield fields" but i wanna hear your thoughts about this. Is it possible to create a game where i can "create" my own deck "Inventory1" and then when battle begins to store all my "Inventory" items to container named "Deck" and to draw cards one by one on random order and how would you approach stats of cards and actually attacking opponent ( i was using hotspot that is turned on/off if in certain container is certain card/item ). If you have any kind of suggestions i would like to hear it from you because im really close to create a good and fun game using AC.Thank you!

Comments

• No idea about TDC-style games, sorry.  You could look into using Containers - they can be used to store inventory items in, and you can move them in and out of your own inventory.

The v1.56 update of AC will include events that trigger when an item is moved to or from a Constainer, allowing custom code to be run at these times - that may be useful here.
  • I dont know how it got TDC when i wanted to say TCG - trading card game. Yeah, im using triggers for some use and containers and checking if there is a card. Is there any way that i can add whatever cards in my deck ( inventory1 ) and to draw them ( using actionlists ) at random order. Have in mind that it can be any card and so how would i approach this? Custom script like get all inventory items but im not sure how to assign them? I wanna have card that allows me to attack with extra 25 dmg and im not sure how to implement stat system or how to add properties to items that allows some actions. I would like to see update of AC with this kind of features.
  • I'm not familiar with TCG games either, I'm afraid - but adding features for other game types definitely goes beyond the scope of AC.

AC already has the ability to assign properties to inventory items, however.  They can be read, and items assigned to the player, through scripting.  See the RuntimeInventory page of the scripting guide.

To add an item to the player's inventory, you just need it's ID number as given in the Inventory Manager:

AC.KickStarter.runtimeInventory.Add (2); // Add item ID = 2

Inventory properties can be created under the "Properties" tab of the Inventory Manager.  One defined, your existing Inventory Items can then be given unique values for each of these properties.  You can also limit properties to only apply to items that are listed under a specific category.

An inventory item's properties can be accessed by first getting the item's InvItem class instance:

InvItem myItem = AC.KickStarter.GetItem (2); // Get Item 2

Their property class, InvVar, can then be retrieved with:

InvVar myItemProperty = myItem.GetProperty (3); // Get Item 2's Property 3

The property's display value can then be retrieved, among other things:

myItemProperty.GetDisplayValue (0);
  • Thank you for this info, i will see what i can do. BTW. i published game on steam using AC and you can check it out its called Bear WIth Me ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/492630/ ) Episode 2 is coming soon. :D