Forum rules - please read before posting.

Direct Control Menus - Disabling Initial Hover Sound

Not sure if there may be a way of doing this already, but please consider it a request if not!

In a nutshell, when using 'Direct' control with 'Keyboard Or Controller' input, bringing up the pause menu highlights the first option in that menu (which is good!) but also plays the hover sound, which is bad.

This is because when navigating a menu via a keyboard, you only want a 'hover sound' to play when the player actually scrolls up or down the menu - you don't want it to play when the menu is summoned and the first item is 'hovered' by default. 

In fact, in my case, this conflicts with a sound that plays in concert with the menu itself opening!

And of course, when using a mouse, this problem doesn't naturally arise, as no sound plays (as no menu item is selected) until a mouse cursor is actually hovering over it...!

Hope this all made sense. Just another search for help from one of the likely-few devs working in AC using Direct  / Keyboard & Controller. ;)

Comments

• A fair request, though one that may be trickier to implement than you'd think.  Is this a Pause Menu that's using AC or Unity UI for it's rendering?
  • I'm using the AC menu system, but the ability to do this could push me off the ledge into Unity UI...! I'd been thinking of making the jump to try out integration with 'Super Text Mesh' regardless.

If one would be a lot less tricky for you to implement than the other, though, that works for me. :)

Thanks Chris!
  • Sorry, I didn't mean 'Super Text Mesh' - I meant 'Text Mesh Pro'. That's the one I'm thinking of integrating.

Just in case that matters or something. :)
  • No worries - sorted for v1.55b.
  • Thanks Chris! Brilliant!
  • Sorry Chris, just one question - the way you've sorted it, will it work in the AC menu system or will this indeed be the part where I jump over to Unity UI?

Let me know, thanks!
  • It'll work in AC's Menu system, yes.
  • Hey Chris,

Just want to let you know this is working perfectly in v1.55b.

As always, I appreciate it! This is a small but atmospherically vital thing for me, and I hope it will be of use to others as well.