Forum rules - please read before posting.

First-Person Camera Not Switching

mdkmdk
edited August 2014 in Technical Q&A
Trying to switch cameras in First-Person mode to get a close-up on an object, but the main camera (First-Person Camera) won't switch to the new Game Camera position.

What am I missing?

Comments

• After further observation it appears the main camera is snapping back to its original location right after the Camera Switch.

Puzzling.
  • When in First Person mode, the camera will always snap to the First Person camera during gameplay - Cutscenes are fair game, however.

To rely on another camera during regular gameplay, you'll have to switch your movement method mid-game.  Use the Engine: Manage systems Action to switch to the movement method None.  You can use the same Action to switch back to First Person afterwards.
  • Thanks for that clarification, Chris.

But the snapping happens even during a Cutscene, and an Interaction. Do I need to use Engine:Pause to hold camera positions?

I went through the code and found the SetFirstPerson method being called in the UpdateMainCamera method on the MainCamera script and wondered if that had anything to do with it.

• You'll see that the SetFirstPerson function is only being called when the gameState is Normal - this is true whenever in "normal" gameplay, and not true for Cutscenes.

AC only considered a "Cutscene" to be running if it takes control away from the player - so yes, you'll need a blocking Action in there, such as Engine: Pause game.  Once control is resumed, the First Person camera will be made active again.
  • Great! Thanks for that, Chris.

Cheers
  • Reviving this because I tried this and it didn't work. When I click on the hotspot, the movement method changes, but not the camera. This is my hotspot action list: