Forum rules - please read before posting.

Hiding the cursor

Afternoon,
I have been searching for a way to turn off the cursor through the AC interface without pausing the game.

My situation:
I have an envelope that when you click on it, it opens and displays a letter. The letter is setup as a Menu. The interaction on the envelope has an ActionList which executes the following:
  1. Removes the Envelope Objects
  2. Removes the Envelope HotSpot
  3. Plays a one-shot sound
  4. Turns on the Letter Menu
  5. Waits to see if the user turns off the Letter (menu) with InteractionA (XBox)
  6. Opens Inventory Menu
The issue I am having is that if I Pause the Game then the cursor goes away (which I want) but the ActionList does not continue. If I Run in Background, then the cursor stays and I do not want it to display.

Without code, I wanted to see if I hide the cursor. Is the only way to do this, create a custom action that calls a script which changes the texture on the cursor (maybe transparent)?

Comments

• I'm away from my pc, but can't you just use the Engine Manage systems action for that? I kinda remember you can also disable/enable the cursor using that action.
  • Yes, Engine: Manage systems can disable the cursor, provided it's drawn with Software rendering.

Pausing the game should be OK though.  How are you checking for input?  Checking continuously for an input should be done with Active inputs - see section 2.14 of the Manual.
  • Thanks for the response.

Alverik, Engine: Manage systems PERFECT. This is the first time that I have played with that action and I think it will do what I need.

Chris, Question about the Active Inputs, I am not seeing a way to associate them to an interaction. Right now I like using the InteractionA button on the XBox to select a hotspot (which opens a menu) and then use the same InteractionA button to close the menu.The menus may be different based on where I am in the progression of the day so I need to determine which menu to close. The way I was doing this was to put a step in the Actionlist to have the system check for an input and then based on that complete the action sequence.

Does that make sense.
  • You can set a Global Variable to check for when pressing a particular input button should have an effect.  I would create a new Input axis in your Input Manager specifically for closing the Menu, even if it's mapped to the same joystick button.

You can then create an Active Input that checks for this new Input, but also checks the state of your Global Variable (with Variable: Check) to only close the Menu if it's e.g. True (if a boolean).

A similar technique is used to exit close-ups in the 3D tutorial.
  • Perfect thank you!