Forum rules - please read before posting.

Non-wait timer

Is there a timer function available that isn't "wait"!

I'm trying to implement a variation of a QTE where instead of a keypress, I want the success to be triggered by the player clicking a hotspot.

Currently I am attempting to have an action list run in parallel. One thread activates the desired hotspot, and the interaction for said hotspot switches a variable to True and ends combat. The other thread waits for x time, then checks to see of the variable is true. If so, it stops. If not, it ends the game.

Unfortunately the wait function is overriding, and not allowing the other thread to complete.

Any help or suggestions are very welcome!

Comments

• Which version of AC?  One chain of Actions waiting shouldn't affect the other.  Have you set the ActionList's When running field to Run In Background?.

Another approach might be to place the "sequence stopping" Actions in a separate Cutscene, with a Start delay value of X.  You can then run it when the QTE begins, and kill it before it runs if the player was succesful.
  • ...i guess that qualifies as "user error". Setting the action list to "run in background" fixed the issue. I have to admit, im not exactly sure why that is the case - unless having it set to "pause gameplay" means that when the "wait" action is triggered, it automatically pauses gameplay even though there is a parallel thread?

Either way, it works now. Thanks Chris!
  • I would have to see your chain of Actions in order to know if that's an issue or a user error.