Forum rules - please read before posting.

Is it POSSIBLE to create scrolling camera ( target player ) in 2.5D environment

Hello Chris, I have some hard times trying to create scrolling camera for 2.5D game im trying to make. I have 3D character and 2D backgrounds, I tried using your 2D and 2.5D wizards and try to see what approach is better for my needs. My boss is insisting and scrolling camera and im having a nightmare to produce that without things break apart.

Is that possible to do, Moving camera on X AXIS and having hotspots and masks and objects align perfectly in perspective or is it ONLY POSSIBLE with static cameras ( no movement )?

Thank you and keep up good work!

Andrej

Comments

• It is possible, but not with the 2.5D camera.  The 2.5D camera is a "special case" camera type that uses the fact that it's static to make the addition of backgrounds easier - i.e. linking a graphic to the camera directly and having it displayed automatically.

In order to have a scrolling camera, with perspecitve locked, use a 2D camera.  You can continue to work in "2.5D mode" and still use the GameCamera2D prefab even though it's not listed in the Scene Manager - just look for it in Assets/AdventureCreator/Prefabs/Camera.

This camera type allows for sideways scrolling, and when the Projection field is set to Perspective, the perspective will be locked - giving a Ken Burns effect so that Hotspots that are aligned with the background remain correct as the scroll occurs.

The complication, however, will lie in the need for your background images to be physically placed in your scene as sprites.  If you need to limit their visibility to a specific camera, just attach the Limit Visibility component and edit the Inspector.