Forum rules - please read before posting.

Making node base walking/jumping system

edited August 2014 in Technical Q&A
I am trying to implement node based walking system for p&c 2d adventure. I used built in path system that uses nodes
for moving characters in the scene, but the problem is that it looks like it don't have the functionality i need.
Here is the diagram oh how i imagine a pathfinding node system to work.
Yellow boxes are hotspots2d that are used to tell the player where to go. At the beginning of scene player will be at node1 and should be able to go to any node from there. Include going from example from node 4 to node 2. Between nodes 2 and 3 animation should changed to jump instead of walk and so its should be executed faster.

Is it possible to do this with AC without diving into code, and if not whats the way to go with coding?

What i did implemented till now, is hotspots can be assigned interaction that has Move along path, but this results in player always going till the end of the path, because i couldnt find a way to tell character to stop at certain node, or to go backwards.

Comments

• So basically you want to restrict movement, and "standing" positions, to a finite number of places?

You could do it without coding, but it might be a little tedious.

First, prevent arbitrary movement to/from anywhere by setting the Movement method in the Settings Manager to None.

Then create a local Integer variable, in the Variables Manager, that records the "node" on which the player is standing.

In the Hotspot Interactions, you can then use this variable's value to perform different pathfinding "sequences".  For example, if you click Node3, and the Player is at Node1, use the Character: Move to Point Action (to walk to Node2) and the Character: Animate Action (to jump to Node3).
  • Thanks for your answer, that helped me to solve the issue!