Forum rules - please read before posting.

Actionlists & Sounds

edited October 2016 in Technical Q&A
Having an issue playing sounds at the right time in an actionlist. 
Heres what im trying to do...

Player says something
play sound
Animation of an object changes while sound plays
player says something 
Animation of an object changes
and so on... 

Whats happening is... 
Player says something
play sound  --- except the sound doesnt play
Animation of an object changes
player says something 
THE SOUND PLAYS NOW...but NO. I want it to play where i said to play!

Basically the sound waits until the very end of the actionlist to play instead of playing where i told it to.. I dont know why but printscreen is not working for me right now otherwise id post a screenshot. ill figure out a way to do it if you really dont get what im trying to do here.

Am i really gonna have to make a script for playing a sound during a specific animation? Since the sound plays on the first frame of the changed animation.. so really just playing the sound and then playing the custom animation in an actionlist should work. But, for some reason the sound doesnt play till the very end of the actionlist. I even tried to put the sound in with the object actually as a component but that didnt work out either.? the sound still doesnt play till the very end of the actionlist.

Comments

• oh.. set the scene to run in background... =P..

why exactly does the sound play when i set the scene to run in background? but not play until the end if its set to pausegameplay? i guess cause the dialog is running separately from the gameplay? so the sound waits until all the dialog is done and the scene goes back to gameplay?
  • No need to fret - a custom script to play sound will not be necessary, as the sound is indeed being triggered when the Sound: Play Action is run.  Why it is not playing immediately, however, will have to be seen.

Is your game paused at the time that this ActionList is being run?  When the game is paused, the timescale is set to zero - meaning sounds will not play unless the Sound Inspector has Play while game paused? checked.  You can check if the game is paused or not by checking List active ActionLists in Game window? at the bottom of the Settings Manager - it will then show you the game's current GameState in the corner while the game is running.

Other than that, how and when is this ActionList/Cutsene being run?  What version of AC and Unity?