Forum rules - please read before posting.

Have to re-click the character after choosing a dialogue option

I've been running into a problem while playtesting my game.  At seemingly random times, the game will require the player to click again on the character they are speaking with after the player has chosen a dialogue option to continue the conversation. Like I said it seems to be random, it happens to different random characters and fixes itself randomly as well.  Some playthroughs it doesn't happen, some playthroughs it stays for the entire scene.

I checked if there were any active ActionLists running while this happened, but nothing is unknowingly running in the background.

Any ideas on what might cause this?

Comments

• Please post your Unity and AC version numbers.  Also, much more detail will be needed in order to solve this - while random issues will be more difficult to recreate, any detail you can provide in the form of screenshots or steps will be greatly beneficial.

When you say random, do you mean some conversations work, some don't - or that the same conversation sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't?

When the problem occurs, at what time exactly does the player need to re-click the character?  Immediately after choosing the option, or midway-through the resultant Actions?  Have you checked Override options? in your Dialogue: Start conversation Actions, or are you creating DialogOption ActionLists for each response?

When it occurs, are you back in "normal gameplay" mode where things like the Hotspot label menu appears when selecting Hotspots?  If you check List active ActionLists in Game window? at the bottom of the Settings Manager, it will also let you know the current game state.
  • Unity version is 5.3.4f1
    AC version is 1.51d

At first, I thought that it was random conversations that didn't work, but I think now I've isolated it to 3 conversations in particular.  It is random whether or not this problem happens, though, most of the time it works fine.

When the problem occurs, the dialogue options disappear and you are free to walk around.  To continue the conversation you must re-click on the NPC that the conversation belongs to.  The problem is that some camera moves are tied to conversations so the player may get stuck in a close up or something.  The last time it happened when I re-clicked the NPC every answer in the conversation played as if queued up, it didn't give me any dialogue options.  Also, I don't remember if what gameplay state it was if while all the answers were being spat out, but I remember thinking it was weird that no ActionLists were active.

"Override options?" is checked in all the dialogue nodes.

Our hotspot labels are off, but the cursor changes to the one we have for hotspots, I think we tried to click somewhere else when the problem happened one time and I think it just played the response to the dialogue choice then played the played the response to clicking the other NPC's hotspot.  It was a while ago so I don't quite remember exactly what happened.
  • Double-check check the wiring of your various options to be sure there's nothing immediately wrong-looking, but if the options are automatically playing in succession it sounds like a bug.  Do these Conversations have Auto-play lone option? checked?

Duplicate the ActionList and remove any unnecessary Actions that don't involve re-routing the flow other than one Dialogue: Play speech Action to give you feedback on which option is playing.  If you can then keep the ActionList Editor window open when testing, you'll be able to see the flow of Actions by their changing colour - it may help us to determine at what point things are becoming undone.