Forum rules - please read before posting.

Be aware: Change Player Character-> Change movement method in Actionlist, overwrites settings

edited September 2016 in Engine development
Unity 5.3.6f1
AC 1.53d

I have a single AC controlled scene - The scene starts as First Person : AC Game editor-> Interface settings->Movement method.

When the "Tasks" are completed (against the clock) I pull up a "Time is up!" menu.

I then swap the player character for the "Review section" in a menu button derived Action list - and then change the movement method (Engine->Change movement method) - it makes no difference to the problem if this is before or after the player swap

Every time Unity Editor is loaded / auto saved / "recomplied" / the particular action list is used ( Opened ) the original AC Game editor-> Interface settings->Movement method has been changed to the one set in the Actionlist..

(Obviously not the one selected to start the game)

The only way to sort this is to manualy go and change it back directly before doing a test.

I have not created a standalone player yet - so I dont know if the compliler changes it as well ...

(either way it is a bit of a development pain in the editor)

To my mind a method  "that has not run yet" should not change it ? - or is this a by-product of Actionlists being editor pre-loaded .assets ( an untied global ?)

S.

[N.B. apologies if this has been found before - I did try and search : but could not see anything relavant]

Comments

• Not a bug, but it is something you need to be mindful of.

Changing the movement method, as is the case with changing any Manager setting, changes the raw asset file - which means it'll survive exiting the game.  You can combat this easily, however, by setting the correct "default" value when the game begins.

You can do this by defining an "ActionList when game starts", which is a field available at the top of the Settings Manager.
  • Thanks Chris : I was half way to your answer : I was trying to set it for my default in the start cutscene... (not early enough - I still got an expected missing FP camera error) ... As I said , I thought it might have something to do with the raw Asset file - I presume (another approach) would be to call [AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.movementMethod] in a script - surely that must be the runtime dynamic way of avoiding the problem ? (although more hassle than "ActionList when game starts" for my purposes)
  • By the way : can you change the title "Possible Bug" - to "A Gotcha" (or similar) - since as you say, it is not a bug (and reflects on AC better when Googleing ?) - The more I work with AC the more I am becoming 'protective' - Its a great product :-)
  • Gladly obliged!

The Action itself calls the variable you posted - it's just there for convenience, as it was requested a lot before the API itself became more open with the scripting guide.