Forum rules - please read before posting.

A detail about Gather Text

Hi folks,

As a rule, we've been checking everything in, gathering text on everything at once, and then allowing check-outs after that.  

Is there any reason not to Gather Text on a single scene, as opposed to all scenes at once, assuming all the scenes are up to date?

Thanks.

Comments

• The gather text feature ensures that no two translateable pieces of text have the same internal ID number - so it needs to go through all scenes to be sure of this when assigning new IDs.  However if a scene has been unedited since the last time this operation checked it, there shouldn't be any changes made to it.
  • I guess what I'm wondering is: Is there a negative consequence to using Gather Text on a single scene for testing purposes?  

We're currently finding some VO bugs where VO isn't playing, even though the speech ID is there and matches the sound file.  I thought I'd remove the Dialog call with the Speech ID, then try Gather Text on that scene to see if I can get a new ID, rename the file, and see if it works. Then I'll know that the next Gather Text across multiple scenes will solve it, and I can revert the file in the interim. 

I'm just not sure if I'll be screwing up a master file of GT info or something, or if all the data is stored in the scene files. 
  • If you're experiencing a bug, then please post details in a new thread so that I can look to fix it.

When you Gather Text, Speech Actions in the scenes are updated with an internal ID number, but a record is also made within the Speech Manager itself.  If you leave out scenes, ID numbers may get removed from the Speech Manager and this will cause issues.
  • Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for.  

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a bug or not, I just need to know some details about G.T. first. If we still can't get the files to work, I'll post a new thread.