Forum rules - please read before posting.

Inventory slot background image

Hi Folks,

I'm wondering if its possible to add a background image to the inventory slots and keep it there at run time?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Don't know with AC's own menu system, but if you use uGUI with AC that does seem trivial. Just make sure the Button (Slot) has the background image you want and it'll always be there when you use it at runtime (In other words, just child an image to the Button with the BG image you want and that's that). Edit: you could also just change the Button's graphic, but I'm unsure if that would work if you are using items as Icons In AC (because it may replace the button's graphic with the item's icon. But I'm unsure if that's how AC works.) 

If you want the background to always be visible, make sure the item's graphic has transparency around it, to allow the BG image to always be seen at least a bit. 

If what you want is a background for the whole inventory box then it would work in the same way, just give the parent of the Button slot(s) an image component with your background image (If you use uGUI, AC will only ask for the buttons, so whatever is behind them doesn't really matter, you can put whatever you want.) -Edit: but I think AC does allow a bg image for the whole inventory box already.-

If you want to know how to connect AC to uGUI check this AC tutorial. If you have no experience with uGUI check this for the Unity video tutorials about uGUI.
  • Morning @Alverik,

Thank you for the quick and detailed reply. I actually just tired what you suggested. We are using icons for items that are collected and I think that's the reason the slots are cleared. I did try and add a child image of the button (slot) using uGUI but it didn't work. 

I might try creating a separate object just for the BG images and just treat it as part of the menus background. That should probably do it. 

Again thank you ever so much for your help and pointers!

- Tim