Forum rules - please read before posting.

Mac build doesn't show the cursor

This is the same project that my other post is about.

I just tried building for OSX. I tried x86 and Universal with the same results.

In the editor the mouse shows a round circle thing for the cursor. I can use it to click on the nav mesh and the player moves around. On Android I don't see a cursor, but when I tap the player goes to the spot.

On the OSX build the mouse doesn't show a cursor anywhere. When I click nothing happens.

Is there something special I have to do for OSX?

Comments

• edited July 2016
    Shouldn't be - I use OSX myself when working on AC.  What version of Unity are you using?

Have you changed your Cursor rendering setting in the Cursor Manager from its default value of Software?  Try swapping the Manager out with its Demo game counterpart, Demo_CursorManager, and re-build - as I'm able to see this Cursor display just fine on my end.

You could also try relying on Hardware mode for your Cursor rendering, and checking that your cursor's graphic (as also defined in the Cursor Manager) is imported as a Cursor in it's Inspector.
  • I am using 5.3.5p2.

Remember that this project was upgraded from an older version of Unity and AC creator. Not sure that helps.

I swapped out the cursor manager - no change.

The game just seemed locked up because nothing happens when I click anywhere. To test lock up I hit the ESC key. The menu shows up, so it is not locked up. That is good, but still no cursor.

So I tried setting the cursor to hardware. Now the cursor shows up, but clicking does nothing at all.

So it has something to do with clicking not working and the cursor not showing up is just a side effect when it is in software mode.

Again, this all works in the editor on the same mac.

This works when I build for Android (ie I an touch the screen and everything works).

What now?
  • Perhaps a Cutscene is running, which would cause the cursor to not show by default.

At the bottom of your Settings Manager, check List active ActionLists in Game window?.  That will let you know the game's current state at all times in the top-left corner.  What does it say when the problem occurs?
  • yea, the game must be in a weird state of some kind.

After turning that setting on in the editor is hows current game state: normal.

when I run it as a mac app that box doesn't even show up.

I do not have any cut scenes yet. I only have this one scene that you walk around the ship.
  • The box only shows in the Editor, so that's correct.

Load up all the Demo's Managers (Adventure Creator -> Getting started -> Load 3D Demo Managers) and build/run the demo scene, Basement.  Does everything work correctly there?  If not, it may be that you need to re-download and import AC again.
  • Now we are getting somewhere.

So if I simply load the default 2d managers in my own scene the cursor shows up and I can click on stuff and the player moves.

2 things:

1. something must have gotten messed up in my managers. How do I fix them?

2. when I click on stuff the player only goes horizontal, not vertical. is this because I set something in my managers that would allow vertical movement? Before loading the demo managers movement worked right in the editor...
  • Ok, I figured this out and feel stupid, but still need to know what to do about it.

Looks like if my input method is Touch, then when you run on mac you don't get a cursor or anything.

The problem is that I want to release this game for desktop and mobile.

Does this mean before each time I build for mobile I have to choose touch input and then when I build for desktop switch to mouse and keyboard?

is there a way to handle that automatically?

What I really want is an option for:

Touch if available if not mouse and keyboard....
  • You could write a script that changes the input method when the game begins, based on the platform you're running on.  The input method can be changed in C# with:

AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.inputMethod = InputMethod.MouseAndKeyboard;
  • Ah, I will give that a try.