Forum rules - please read before posting.

Click a inventory item

Hi, 

I have an inventory item (piece of paper (is actually a letter). So when I single touch on the paper in the inventory, I should able to read  the letter enlarged in front of the game objects. I have the note designed. Is there a way to single touch something from inventory or is there another way? 

Thanks a lot in advance!!! 

Comments

• What are your interaction settings?  You likely just need to define a "Use interaction" ActionList in the Inventory's properties window, which will run whenever the item is clicked/tapped, as opposed to being selected by default.  You can then use this ActionList to e.g. turn on a new Menu that shows the letter as an image/graphic.
  • Thanks Chris!
  • Hey Chris. I am not getting it right entirely. 

You said ""Use interaction" ActionList in the Inventory's properties window"  I am guessing you are talking about the white rectangle tab. Is yes, please tell me how to do it. I checked the manual it is all about defining variables but not sure how to get it.

But here (Black Rectangle) you can see that I have added a ActionList in Use Interaction "Paper_Inventory". And the Paper_Inventory ActionList is here calls for the newly created Menu. 

• Apologies for the confusion, I was referring to the black window - a property of the inventory item, not the "Properties" feature itself.

What is your Menu's Appear type set to?  If AC has a problem turning it on, you should be getting a message in the Console.  Check that the ActionList is indeed being run at the correct time by adding an Engine: End game Action on the end of it.
  • Hi Chris,

"Apologies for the confusion, I was referring to the black window - a property of the inventory item, not the "Properties" feature itself."
    Not a problem and Thanks

Appear Type was set to On Interaction
    And on Console I got this error "Can only turn on Menus with an Appear Type of Manual, OnInputKey or OnContainer - did you mean 'Unlock Menu'?"

And then I changed the Appear Type to Manual and It worked.

Awesome & Thanks a lot Chris

• Hi Chris,

"Apologies for the confusion, I was referring to the black window - a property of the inventory item, not the "Properties" feature itself."
    Not a problem and Thanks

Appear Type was set to On Interaction
    And on Console I got this error "Can only turn on Menus with an Appear Type of Manual, OnInputKey or OnContainer - did you mean 'Unlock Menu'?"

And then I changed the Appear Type to Manual and It worked.

Awesome & Thanks a lot Chris

• edited June 2016
    Chris,

I need to close that above discussed menu, so I added a button element in that Menu. But it is not working, Check here.

I am using Manual as Appear Type

For ClickType in Button I used Run ActionList and also Turnoff Menu

Thanks

• And what is in the Lvl1_Close_Paper_Menu ActionList?
  • A simple actionlist Menu-->Change State-->Turnoff Menu and Menu Name. 

That's it. 
  • edited June 2016
    Please provide screenshots or full details when answering.  Have you set the name of the Menu to match the name of your Menu?  That's what I'm trying to confirm here.  It might be obvious, but I need to discount it.

Try adding an Engine: End game Action to the end, to confirm that the ActionList itself is being run.  If so, try setting the Menu: Change state Action to lock the Menu instead.  Again, check the Console for messages.
  • edited June 2016
    The Menu name is right on both sides, I checked it. I will try what you said about the "end game", "change state ","checking console" and post the screenshot if i could not find the problem.

Thanks Chris!
  • Hey Chris,

I ran the End Game Action and found out that the action wasn't running, because I called this menu by mistake some where else and had if/else condition to it(by mistake, totally confused it). Now things working good. "Engine: End game" is a beautiful tip.

Thanks Chris!