Forum rules - please read before posting.

OS Cursor

mdkmdk
edited July 2014 in Technical Q&A
Wondering how I get rid of the OS cursor while running the game. I'm using the First-Person setup.

Thanks

Comments

• As a follow-up to the above, I did check the "Replace mouse cursor" option in the Cursor Manager.

Using AC 1.36a with Unity 4.5.2.

Thanks
  • The cursor will still display if you haven't supplied an alternative texture to show in it's place.

To remove the cursor completely, go to the Cursor Manager and change Display cursor to Never or Only When Paused.

• Thanks, Chris.

I've been using the default pointer cursor texture that comes with the demo. It displays, but so does the OS cursor. I'm on Windows 8.
  • Can't see why it would display - it could be a Windows 8 issue.  Does the problem persist when you run a standalone build?
  • No cursor in the standalone build.

On the Web Build, however, the OS cursor will appear outside of the game window if you mouse over far enough, and then disappear once you're inside the game window again.

Problem is sometimes you have to move the cursor a good distance to hover over a hotspot in the game, which causes the active OS cursor to appear outside of the game window.

When you click on said hotspot highlighted by the game cursor in the game window, the OS cursor clicks on the desktop, which pauses the game. You then have to move the OS cursor back over the game window and click to un-pause the game.

May very well be a Windows 8/Unity issue, but wanted to check with you in case it was something with AC I was overlooking.
  • I see the Windows mouse cursor also sometimes when testing inside Unity, it's a Unity/DirectX bug probably, No problems with the standalone builds. I can imagine the web build is a little funky too, Flash is pretty bad at trapping or releasing the cursor like that too.
  • The appearance of the cursor outside the Web Build frame is Unity-standard behaviour, I believe.  Likely so that you can quickly close the tab when the boss comes ;)

If you've set up your Cursor Manager correctly (and it seems you have) then it does indeed sound like a Unity/W8 error, or at least by their design.