Forum rules - please read before posting.

2d character animation and walking into the background & foreground

edited June 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hi. I wasn't sure whether this should go into Adventure Talk or Technical Q&A, as it feels borderline...

For people who are using 'paper doll' style animations, such as with puppet2d or smoothmoves, I am curious as to how people are dealing with the concept of walking into the background. You may have beautiful animations for the character walking left or right, but how did you decide to deal with the character moving into the background or foreground, when I don't think the same bone rigging would work well, or did you entirely avoid having the character do that? 

Or did you create different riggings and sprites to handle the non left/right directions? I know I could just move the character into the background and keep the left/right walk while doing it, but it seems like it'd be a bit awkward-looking.

Comments

• As Animator components can animate as many child sprites as you like, one method would be to have a separate hierarchy of sprites for the "up" frames (and another set for "down").  Though the temptation would be to disable these sprites while playing left/right animations, I would recommend instead setting the sprite renderers to show "empty" sprites instead, as disabling gameobjects on the player may cause confusion with the FollowSortingMap component.