Forum rules - please read before posting.

Subtitles over character in 3D?

Hey there,

Is it possible to have subtitles show above the character in 3D? I've tried setting the option in the subtitles menu settings to no avail. I am using the demo menu options but I have deleted the character name and background canvases from the prefab.

The subtitles continue to load in the same place on the screen.

Any ideas? 

Comments

• You have to make a menu with a text set to show dialogue/subtitles, set the menu to appear when there's a conversation, and set the location of the menu to "above the talking character".  I don't have unity currently open (I'm away from my pc), so I can't tell you the exact naming for the menus and options though, so they may be named differently. Anyways, you can still tweak the position of the menu a bit, though I've noticed that the position can be a bit erratic (I only use 3D, so I can't speak for 2D)... 

Ive noticed this erratic placement happens a lot when showing hotspots and NPC names (which is a similar process), specially when your character is running around and the camera is following you (and swerving), sometimes the text box will appear above the NPC's head, as it should, but a lot of the time it will show at the neck or torso level instead... 
  • Setting the menu's Position type to Above Speaking Character is indeed the correct setting - you can see the 2D Demo does this for its own Subtitles menu.

With an Adventure Creator-driven menu, this will position it above the character in screen-space.  To position the menu in world-space, or 3D, you need to make use of a Unity UI canvas that's Render Mode is set to World Space.  AC requires that UI canvases that make use of this mode are linked from the scene, rather than a prefab - so you'll have to set the Menu's Source to Unity Ui In Scene, and have the UI canvas in each scene in your game (you can still make it a prefab, however).
  • It seems to work with AC dialogue (well all the subtitles appear over the player, not the character they should be over) but if I use an in scene ui set to world space I get this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AC.PlayerMenus.UpdateMenuPosition (AC.Menu menu, Vector2 invertedMouse) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:611)
    AC.PlayerMenus.UpdateMenu (AC.Menu menu, Boolean justPosition) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:723)
    AC.PlayerMenus.UpdateAllMenus () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:1471)
    AC.StateHandler.Update () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:331)

• edited June 2016
    I've decided just to go with the AC driven subtitles as it works and does what I need it to so you can ignore the above if you like :)

I am curious as to what part of the character the subtitles use as a position reference. i.e. what does the dot on the screen when you are setting up the subtitle offset represent on a 3d character? 

Also is it possible to override the location of this like you can with hotspot icons? 
  • Yes - look for the Speech menu placement child field at the bottom of the NPC/Player Inspector.
  • ChrisIceBox  Thanks for a great suggestion. I was looking that too.