Forum rules - please read before posting.

2D Navmesh with 3D perspective

edited June 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

First, congrats for the plugin.

I've been doing some tests with it and there's a couple things I don't seem to understand (or maybe they are not possible).

Let's take your 2D demo scene for instance: imagine that I would like the player to be able to reach the house in the distance within that same scene. Typically, in LucasArts style games, the player would walk to the first hill, slowly transitioning to a smaller scale, go behind it and dissapear, then 3-4 seconds later it would appear even smaller, to represent the scale at the house distance, and would walk to it from the bottom.

1. How would this work in terms of the navmesh polygon collider? how could one create a navmesh that represents this "3D" walk over the hills?
2. How would that sorting map work? I understand that the first one (to the first hill) would be fairly simple, but how would you make the second one? Is it possible for a player/NPC to follow two different sorting maps depending on the scene perspective?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Comments

• I'd imagine you'd need three Sorting Maps - one for the main section of grass (foreground), one for where the house is, and another in between - where you're behind the main section but not yet as far as the house.  This last Sorting Map would need to have the scale inverted, so that as you descend in the Y-axis, you're shrinking the sprite.

You can change which Sorting Map a Player or NPC follows at any time by using the Character: Change rendering Action.
  • OK, I understand. I was missing the change of the sorting map dynamically.

And for the navmesh going behind the hill... can you do the same thing?

Thanks
  • Yes, you can do it as many times as you like.