Forum rules - please read before posting.

what is " Player detected" message

So far I've been using Hotspots with "detect with Mouse Over" in Setting Manager Hotspots but I find that the player is  a good distance from the hotspot and it already flashes it which is not good when the Player is still in the next room.  I don't know how to reduce the detection range to ,say 1 meter away  I tried by manipulating the other parameters in the Setting Manager to no avail. Some of those setting  give me this error " both player and Hotspot Detector on that Player are required...." which is  Chinese for me.

Can you tell me how to make it so the Hotspot is detected ONLY when near it?

Comments

• The message is informing you that your Player component must have a "Hotspot detector" assigned in their Inspector.  This is a separate component that must be added on as a child object, along with a Collider + Rigidbody (if your root doesn't have one).

This is covered in both Section 5.1 of the Manual, and you can also read this tutorial.
  • I can't make it work. I have followed your tutorial.

My 1stPersonCharacter starts with the PlayerStart and have used this character many times with the Hotspot "MouseOver".

I change the Hotspot settings to Detection Method: Player Vicinity..

Created the gameObject "HotspotDetect " which contains the Sphere collider and the Detect Hotspots script. Then made it a child of my 1stPerson Character. I hit the Apply to my character prefab.

It shows again the same message: " both player and Hotspot Detector on that Player are required...." and of course it doesn't detect any hotspot.

• You need to have it assigned in the Player inspector.  You should see a "Hotspot detector child" field near the bottom - drag the child object into there, and save the prefab.
  • The - "Hotspot detector child" field near the bottom -  I see it now (that is not mentioned in your tutorial). Also, this was my mistake, one has to position the HotspotDetector game object child with Transform position 0,0,0  .

But it works now Thanks

• Sorry Chris, I see it now also in your tutorial. I am buying a new set of glasses !!