Forum rules - please read before posting.

Depth of field in 2d

Hi i have some problems setting the dof in a 2d game.
Actually i can´t do that, i try 3d cameras and move the sprites in different positions but nothing happen.
Any idea? or mini tutorial to take a look?
Thanks

Comments

• Depth of field, as in objects in the far foreground/background blurring?  In 3D that's done with a post-process effect.  I don't know how you'd do it in 2D, but that's a question for Unity rather than AC.
  • I'm not sure about "real" dof - but you could easily fake it with very nice results if you don't aim to do focuspulls or a lot of dolly or zooms.

Make use of layers of blured images in the foreground and the background. Thats how you faked dof in 3d applications some 15 years ago (see 26 seconds into this link from Rustboy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRms4B_iaSo ). It works fine when you don't need focuspulls or bokeh effects changes when the camera moves in depth.

You can create nice dof blurs with bokeh effects that I assume you're after on the layers needed in Photoshop CS using the lensblur filter (iirc) and you should be able to fake a similar look to what Moon Studios achieved on Ori this way.

• ummm.. This issue seems to stem from the 2D shaders not working with the DOF image effect, try checking this thread:

I'd try to help more, but sadly, I've yet to study shader programming for unity.
  • Thanks i make a blur shader and use it when i need it