Forum rules - please read before posting.

Engine: Play Movie Clip issues

- Unity 5.3.4f1
- AC 1.51f

No matter what I seem to try, I can't get it to play a 720p mp4 movie on a texture, or if I select 'Full Screen' instead.

Also, the 'Wait Until Finished' box doesn't seem to work either for me.

Here's my setup - basically, a custscene is ran when the player clicks on a hotspot that should play the movie:

It's a 2D project and when the hotspot is clicked it calls for the camera to switch to a cube which has the material defined in the custscene on it. That part works fine, it's just the actual playing of the movie that doesn't seem to want to work.

I've tried adding and Engine:Pause function after the play movie instruction and this does as it should but it's just black as there is no movie playing.

I've tried it with the mp4 file in the Resources folder, the SharedAssets and StreamingAssets folder to no avail :/

Any suggestions?

Comments

• And the movie clip itself plays fine in the Unity Inspector window?

What about when you set the Action's Play clip field to Full Screen?  You should find that a GameObject named "Movie clip" is added to your Hierarchy when the Action is run.
  • No the clip itself wouldn't preview. However, by adding the video as a MOV file it seems to work fine now.

Does Unity not play the movie's audio by default? I've found that I have to add a separate sound of the audio for it to work. Interestingly, if the movie file itself has no sound, the audio clip won't play.
  • If you play the movie on a texture, no - it won't play sound.
  • Sorry to drag this up again but the sound still refuses to play, even when not running on a texture.

The audio plays fine when previewed in Quicktime, for example.

Also, I've still got no idea at all on how to play videos on an Android device as it just won't seem to build as it says that 'Engine:PlayMovieClip' isn't supported?
  • Where specifically does it say that, and what is the exact wording?

Playing videos on Android should be OK - but the interface of the Action changes when you switch to that platform as it requires a different workflow.

When you opt to play the movie's sound, it'll use the volume of whatever your Sound object's Sound type is set to - so if it's SFX, you'll need to make sure your SFX volume is audible.