Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Help Request]

edited May 2016 in Engine development
Hi everyone! 

Having a bit of an issue and was wondering if anyone could help... 

I'm building a game that'll be played in first person mode - AC is set up as First Person Movement and Keyboard/Controller input method as I want to use E to interact as opposed to left mouse button. 

The issue I have is that when I press "i" to open the inventory and unlock I'm having to press E to select items or combine them when it should really work with the mouse at that point. 

I've tried using an actionlist to change input method but it doesnt seem to work...
Thanks 
C

Comments

• Interesting problem.  The Input method Mouse And Keyboard should probably be best for both states - it's intended for the standard WASD movement combined with mouse interactions.

I'm assuming you've set up your "E" key to the InteractionA input, correct?  What you could try is instead mapping it to it's own input (e.g. InteractGameplay) and also map the LMB to it's own input (e.g. InteractInventory).

You could then use Active Inputs (see the Manual's Section 2.14) to detect these inputs, and use the Menu: Check state to query the state of your Inventory menu (i.e. whether or not that particular input should trigger a response), and if appropriate, use the Input: Simulate Action to manually simulate the triggering of the InteractionA input.
  • Hey Chris, Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify a few things - 
    I've tried Mouse and Keyboard but I want to bind LMB to another action and with input set to Mouse & Keyboard both pressing E and clicking share the same result...

I'll have a look at the fix suggested and let you know how it goes...

Cheers
    C
  • If you want to override the mouse buttons, you can do that: see this tutorial.
  • Chris - Thank you, I should be able to get this working now :)