Forum rules - please read before posting.

Ability to switch between 2d and 3d scenes?

Hi, I am pretty familiar with Adventure Creator now and was wondering if there is an easy way to switch between a 3d scene into a 2d scene. I am just wondering if it's even possible to do in Adventure Creator?

An example would be having a 3d character in a 3d world who goes into an enchanted 2d Forrest scene, which is completely 2d. Then return to the 3d scene if that makes sense.

In the "Settings" menu tab of Adventure Creator I would need to change the Camera Settings > Camera Perspective to 2d from 3d, when my scene changes. I already have both a 3d and 2d scene, characters etc that I would use to change character with. 

What is the easiest way to do something like this? Any help or info if this is possible would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Presumably your player would also be a new 2D prefab as well?  You can either place down a new 2D Player prefab in your 2D scene, and he'll override your default (3D) player when the scene loads - or assign multiple player prefabs in the Settings Manager and use the Player: Switch Action to switch player + scene together,

As for the camera perspective, indeed you will need to change the Settings Manager field.  This can be done via script easily enough:

AC.KickStarter.settingsManager.cameraPerspective = CameraPerspective.TwoD;

Place that in the Run() function of a custom Action, and you'll be able to change to 2D within an ActionList whenever you need to - though I'd expect you should do it just before a scene change, to ensure the scene loads correctly.  You could then either make a similar Action to set it back to 3D, or add some UI controls to the same Action to let you choose which perspective you switch to.

Just be sure to force it back to 3D when your game begins (place it in your ActionList on start game).  Since the Settings Manager is an asset file, any change you make to it will be permanent - so if you quit while in 2D, the game will next load in 2D as well otherwise.
  • Thanks Chris! That is exactly what I was looking for. I am switching the player out from 3d like you described. I have a 2d sprite version of my character that I would Player Switch once the scene starts. Good to know about having to force it back too. Thanks!