Forum rules - please read before posting.

Newbie - Question

edited May 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I am following the tutorial 3D version and I am using my character models and animations. I created the character prefab as said in the tutorial and assigned it as the Player in the Game Editor --> Setting. I have an idle animation and walk animation, nothing more. Now as I am at 22:48 in the 3D Tutorial. I see the character moving but my character is not animating the walk. But I can see the idle animation clearly and when I try to move, the model is sliding without the walk animation.

Maybe there is something which I am missing which might be a easy one but not in the tutorial or is there something wrong with the animation file here. It works fine in an other file though.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Most probably you haven't setup the mecanim variables and transitions and connected them to AC. The variables need to be set in mecanim and then in the player's player script or else AC won't know what animation to trigger. There, you can also tell the script if you want to use root motion or not. 

The way you explain it, the idle animation triggers because it's the default, but as the walk is not setup, then when you try to move, AC just applies a change in the transform (which is used for animations which don't have root motion checked). 

Anyway, here's a web tutorial for setting this up:

A good tip: never neglect the written tutorials. They're usually more detailed and keep up to date. It's also a lot quicker because you're just reading a brief and focused article. Personally, the videos are best to initially get familiar with AC. I watched them all too, but for a quick check on how to do something, the web tutorials are better. Then if something is not in the web tutorials, check the forums, or make a quick google search with the words Adventure Creator + "the thing you want to know how to do". Chances are someone already talked about it in the forums and it will show up in the search.

Anyway, cheers!

PS: Also, be sure to watch the video tutorials in order, 2D, 3D, 2.5D, 1.51 new features. Because each teaches you stuff the other doesn't (which will be useful no matter the situation), so don't disregard the 2D one just because you are gonna be using 3D...
  • Thanks for the tips, @Alverik - the note about the 1.51 New Features video is especially important as it covers the Character Wizard, a feature that was added since the 3D tutorial video was shot.

@harshat30: If you continue to have trouble, please post shots of your Animator window and Player component - this will help us to see the problem.
  • Alverik Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I did as in the manual but struck in a middle.

I got this error" The legacy Animation Clip "Take 001" cannot be used in the State "Take 001". Legacy AnimationClips are not allowed in Animator Controllers.To use this animation in this Animator Controller, you must reimport in as a Generic or Humanoid animation clip
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()"

I checked some stuff in the unity website and found out that If Legacy I should use ANimation not Animator.  What's wrong here?
  • Legacy animations are not compatible with Mecanim - this is down to how Unity works, and is not to do with AC.

In your model file's Inspector, you can change your Rig's Animation type from Legacy to Generic / Humanoid to work with Mecanim.  You can search Unity's docs for more info/tutorials on how Mecanim works.
  • edited May 2016
    Okay. Thanks a lot ChirslceBox and Alverik. I will check more, read docs a lot before continuing.