Forum rules - please read before posting.

Sounds affecting other sounds volume

Hi,

I have music playing in the background of my scene, and when the player triggers another sound, the original background music seems to reduce in volume a tad.

Is this something that can be easily avoided?

Here is my sound set up, please see screenshot:

Thanks

Comments

• That's called audio ducking and it's an audio feature in unity. It's usually used to make sure speech or other noises are heard over the background music. I'm not yet too familiar with the settings, but you'll probably have to check the audio sources configuration or the projects audio settings to configure that. You'll also probably find the rollOff effect (an effect which changes volume for 3d sounds depending on the distance) to be a constant pain the a** at times. Because the basic options are usually a little too strong (which can be annoying if you use dynamic playtAtClip sounds).

Here's a video tutorial:
  • Thanks will check it out! :>
  • Hi, tutorial didn't really help as I am not using mixer groups and have not chosen duck volume anywhere on my sounds.

Here is a shot of my sound inspector that seems to quieten the background scene loop sounds:

• So long as your sound reduction sliders in the Speech Manager are set to zero, AC won't do any volume manipulation and it'll be Unity that's doing it.  It may be that switching to mixer groups makes a difference.
  • Ummm.. try to do what Chris said, if you still have issues try changing the rolloff to linear in your audio source or as I said before, go to the audio settings in your project and try setting the rolloff to 0. The effect is active no matter if you use audio mixers or not, so you should still give it a try. You might also try lowering the doppler factor to 0 too, just to be sure(the doppler effect is the noise distortion that affects fast things when they speed by, so chances are your aren't even going to use it)

There's also some people talking about it in this Unity post: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sound-effects-too-quiet-solved.74914/