Forum rules - please read before posting.

Some 2.5d questions

edited July 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hey guys,

Have been plowing through the manual and am about to start practicing putting it all into action but had a few questions on things not specifically mentioned.

1. Interested in making a 2.5d game with prerendered backgrounds - how would I go about making parts of the background animate? For example - a static background with a flag slowly flapping in the wind, a tree branch swaying or a light source flickering.

2. Linked to the background animations - what about rain? I have used two alternating backgrounds in the past with "rain" to make it appear like it is falling, is the idea the same here?

3. And finally I may be overlooking something really obvious here but for objects to be picked up/interacted by the player - what is the correct workflow.
Do I omit these items from the final background render and add them as 2d sprites over the top where they should be? 

Because when rendered as a background - I cannot tell if the hotspot is anywhere near the item intended since it does not appear in the scene. If I create it as a separate object (2d or 3d), I have to deal with it showing above other objects from different views which involves creating planes for half the scene anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Hiijinx

Comments

• 1) For overlaying animations, create Animation clips out of your sprites using the Unity editor.  The same principles apply in AC's 2D demo.  This isn't something that need involve AC, unless you wanted the animations to be turned on/off during gameplay.  Same goes for 2) as well, though you could go a step further and use particle systems for a nicer effect.

3) Yes, keep your "pick-up-able" objects separate from the final render.  Attach a RememberVisibilty script to them as well, so that their visible/invisible state is recorded in saved games.

When making 2.5D games, it can be a little difficult to know where exactly to place objects so that the perspective is correct.  To look through a specific GameCamera2D in your Scene View, select it and click Set as active - should make things a bit easier

• Thanks for the swift reply Chris, much appreciated.

Don't suppose you have a "show hotspots" script lying around do you? (Secret files style, click a button to reveal all hotspots on screen for a few seconds)
    Am trying to learn scripting but if you know of one already made, would save me the headache hehe.
  • Certainly do - it's tied to the "FlashHotspots" input axis.  Map a button to FlashHotspots, and it'll highlight all Hotspots (provided they have a linked Highlight object).