Forum rules - please read before posting.

IndexOutOfRangeException... SaveSystem.AssignMenuElementVisibility...

edited July 2014 in Technical Q&A

I get an error when I load a saved game:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

SaveSystem.AssignMenuElementVisibility (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 menus, System.String menuElementVisibilityData) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:1299)

SaveSystem.ReturnMainData () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:929)

SaveSystem.OnLevelWasLoaded () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:247)

This is a new error, I believe it started showing up after I shortened the default Options menu. I deleted the “Speech volume,” “Language” and “Subtitles” options. “Options elements” now reads:

0: TitleLabel

2: MusicSlider

3: SFXSlider

6: BackButton

Could this be what’s causing this error? If so, is there a way for me to fix it? Could something else be causing this error?

Thanks again!

Ben

Comments

• If the Menu Manager has a different number of menus / elements than it did when the loaded game was created, then the saved game will no longer be compatible.  When you make a new save and re-load that, does the problem persist?
  • I figured as much, so I have been testing this with new saves only. I get some additional errors if I save and load from within the same scene (any scene, just must save/load within same scene.)

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

SaveSystem.AssignMenuElementVisibility (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 menus, System.String menuElementVisibilityData) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:1299)

SaveSystem.ReturnMainData () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:929)

SaveSystem.OnLevelWasLoaded () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:247)

SaveSystem.LoadSaveGame (Int32 slot) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:170)

SaveSystem.LoadGame (Int32 slot) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Save system/SaveSystem.cs:75)

AC.PlayerMenus.CheckClick (AC.Menu _menu, AC.MenuElement _element, Int32 _slot, MouseState _mouseState) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:877)

AC.PlayerMenus.UpdateElements (AC.Menu menu) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:720)

AC.PlayerMenus.UpdateAllMenus () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Controls/PlayerMenus.cs:775)

AC.StateHandler.Update () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Game engine/StateHandler.cs:119)

• It looks like I found the answer! I added a Debug.Log(menuElementVisibilityData); @ SaveSystem.cs line 1275 which produced the following output:
    12:0=True+1=True+2=True+3=True+4=True|0:0=True+2=True+3=True+6=True|1:0=True+1=True+3=True|2:0=True+1=True+3=True|3:1=True+0=True+2=True|4:0=True|5:0=True+1=True|6:1=True+3=True+0=True+2=True|9:0=True+1=True|8:1=True+2=True+0=True+3=True+4=True+5=True+6=True+7=True+8=True+9=True|10:0=True+1=True+2=True+3=True+4=True+5=True+6=True+7=True+8=True+9=True|11:0=True|7:0=True+1=True+3=True+4=True|13:0=True+2=True+3=True+6=True|14:0=True+1=True+3=True|15:

This pointed me to Menu 15, which I had set up to display the game logo. I only used a background texture to display the logo- without any elements, since I didn't think I needed any and it worked just fine without. After adding a blank “Label,” and re-saving, the error went away. So it looks like every Menu needs an element, even if it is blank. 

Hope this helps troubleshoot future user errors!

• If that's the case, then that's a bug indeed.  Glad you found a workaround, but I'll see to it that's fixed next time.