Forum rules - please read before posting.

Attempting to iron out stop-start when entering Character:Move to point

dlldll
edited April 2016 in Technical Q&A
Hello all,
So the context is that I'm working to polish up my scene transitions, but despite what I try, the player visible returns to idle before the screen transitions. The solution I have come to is based off some advice in http://www.adventurecreator.org/forum/discussion/4331/hotspot-with-marker, attempting to path partially towards the portal, use a move to point to continue the walking, and transition some time after. What I observe is a stop-start when the character begins the Move to point action.

TL;DR, an easy test case:
  1. Change your Hotspot's Player Action to Walk To, and then check Set minimum distance and set the proximity to 1.
  2. At the start of your Hotspot's Interaction, place a Character: Move to point Action that takes the character the rest of the way to the Marker.
Observe that the character will stop (when they reach proximity), and then start again. What I'm looking to do is iron out this stop-start.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Is this a 2D or a 3D character?  So long as you don't have Face after moving checked?, the slowdown should be in accordance with your character's deceleration value, so shouldn't be technically instantaneous.

Have you tried setting the Player action to Walk To Marker instead?  That would allow the Player to move to the Marker directly.
  • It's a 2D character. I've just had a play with the deceleration value, and even reducing it to 1, the frame of idle is still visible. Face after move is not checked.

I see the same issue if I ask the player to follow a path - he'll walk from the current position to the path state, return to idle for a few frames, then begin the path.

What I'm trying to achieve (and the reason I can't simply.. or at least I *think* I can't simply use the Walk To Marker) is to be able to safely fade out before a transition - and specifically, before the character stops walking.

Implementation I'm working towards:
    • Click on door, character walks towards it. Player is free to break out of this behaviour.
    • Fade time before reaching door, camera fade begins. Character continues to walk. Player is locked in.
    • Fade completes, screen hits black, scene transitions, and we never observe the character standing idle at the door.
    So I guess what I'm really looking for is a reliable method of determining when I'm fade time from the door. My plan had been to manually offset the door's marker, then use an action to trigger a walk to the true position, lock player control, and begin the fade - but this results in the same idle frame/s between the two movements.
  • OK, I think I understand this - and your reasons for needing Walk To over Walk To Marker.  I'll need to have a think about it - it may already be possible, or may need some code tweak, hard to say at the moment.  I will write back here when I have something to offer.
  • Applying your steps to recreate this in the 2D Demo scene doesn't cause the issue to occur.  Are you using the latest release?

Try this out for yourself with the 2D Demo Manager's loaded, and amend the Tyre swing Hotspot in the manner you've suggested (making the player move to the ExitLeftMarker).  I'm finding there is no idle issue when doing this with the 2D Demo's Player, Brain - is that true for you as well?  It may be that it's down to the various settings in the Player component that's causing a difference.