Forum rules - please read before posting.

Trouble with Use Interactions in Evil Lair Tutorial

I have gone through the whole Evil Lair Tutorial up until you are testing the Use and Look at Interactions on the Lift doors.  I have checked to make sure all the setup is identical, but when I click on the lift doors after pressing play in Unity, nothing happens.  The two icons for Use and Look at do not appear?  Can anybody help please?  I have been banging my head against the wall for days trying to figure it out.

Comments

• Sorry to hear your trouble.  It's difficult to advise without seeing what you've got set-up exactly, so if you can provide some screenshots then it'll be more possible to find the source of your problem.

Make sure that your Interaction method (in your Settings Manager) is set to Choose Hotspot Then Interaction.  This will allow you to display multiple "Use" interactions on your Hotspot at once.

In order to show these interactions as icons when clicked, you need to have a Menu that displays these.  The default Menu system comes with one ready-made: the Interaction Menu.  Open up your Menu Manager and check that one exists.  If it doesn't, revert back to the Demo_MenuManager asset file so that you can temporarily rely on the demo game's UI, which should work.  You can copy the Interaction Menu from there into your own Menu Manager asset file if need be.
  • I'm also having an issue with the "Lift Doors: Use" Interaction. Clicking on the gear icon does not trigger the Lift Animator.

The Lift Animator conditions are set to  0, 1 and 2 and are called in the Object: Animate node in the Action List Editor ( I forgot to specify "State" in the Parameter to effect slot, which I have now corrected).

I checked to make sure I have "choose hotspot then interaction" selected in the settings manager , so I do see the gear and magnifying glass icons when the cursor is over the lift doors.

I went through my actions list and found that my Object: Send Message node was disconnected, so I connected it.

I've saved and quit Unity , just in case there was an issue with Unity.

I will post any screenshots deemed relevant, but I can't think of where to turn to at this point. Im using Unity 5.3.4f1 Personal on Mac OS 10.11 using AC 1.51g.

Thanks ,
    John
  • It's not clear at this point if this is down to the Action, or the Interaction object it's contained in.  You can manually run an Interaction when the game is running by selecting it and clicking Run now in the Inspector.

Try running the game and adding an Engine: End game Action to the list of Actions, then run it manually.  If the game ends, we can rule out the Interaction not working - in which case, it's going to be down to the Object: Animate Action.  If so, make sure you aren't getting any errors in the Console, and that your animations are being correctly triggered by the Action - if you post screenshots of the Action and the Mecanim controller, we may be able to advise further.
  • edited June 2016
    Chris-Thanks for the suggestions. Here's what I tried:

Running the game, and in the ActionList Editor, clicking Run Now, which activates the Action list and performs the specified task successfully (switching to camera LiftCam, opening lift doors, walking to Inside Lift Marker, closing door, fading to black and ending/quitting game. ).

I just realized it may be a problem with the cursor. During game play, there is a circular cursor in the game window, and a regular cursor that trails it, at an offset distance . I was successful in activating the Lift Doors: Use Interaction once, but I'm not having luck doing it again.

(Also I've noticed that the lighting changes if I select "Engine: End Game: Restart Game" in the last node of the Action List. It starts out with the default look then appears to reflect my modified lighting setup after it cycles through a Run Now and Restart Game loop.)

Normally I'm not getting any errors in the console, only a "PlayerPrefs Key 'AC_My_3D_Game_0' loaded" message. But this one just popped up in Maximize on Play mode: "Invalid editor window UnityEditor.EditorApplicationLayout:FinalizePlaymodeLayout()"

Which Mechanim and Action controller screenshots should I post? I have included one of the LiftDoorsShut transition, if that helps (I don't understand which controllers you want to see, sorry!)
    Can you advise me on troubleshooting the Object: Animate Action ?
    Thanks
    John

• edited June 2016
  • Update: I must be doing something wrong when I set up hot spot interactions, I cannot get the Laser Gun interaction to work either (unless I click Play in the Action List Editor). Going to scrap the LaserGun hotspot and try it again, and see if it works any differently. It must be something simple but I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.
    Thanks
    John
  • [SOLVED] Update: After soldiering on to the "Importing Templates" section , I have successfully imported the new settings and assigned new managers. These new managers now allow the interactions to work.

So glad to be back on track!

Thanks again
    John
  • Glad to hear it!