Forum rules - please read before posting.

Improve ActionCheck

edited July 2014 in Engine development
This class could benefit more choices for whether the condition has been met or not.

For example, let's admit, I want a npc to tell me something "A" if I don't have a key, and tell me something else "B" If I have the key.

The action list would look like this :
  1. Action Check Var :
    [has_key] equals to [true]
    if condition is met [continue]
    else [skip to action 4]
  2. Play Speech : "A"
  3. Action Check Var : // <-- prison check technique Action 2 is jailed.
    [has_key] equals to [true]
    if condition is met [stop]
    else [continue] // <-- this doesn't really matter anyway
  4. Play Speech "B"
See all the troubles I need to go through in order to make a simple if/else dialogue? In my opinion, there aren't enough choices available on the ActionCheck (continue/stop/skip) class. Either add new options such as "Run ActionList", or provide the logic operations on the hotspot itself instead of inside the Action List.

Regards

Comments

• Thank you for your input, though I don't quite understand what action 3 is doing in your example. Bear in mind, however, that such logic operations are much easier to create and understand within the actionlist editor window, rather than the inspector.
  • edited July 2014
    The 3rd action is supposed to prevent from playing Action 4, because I found no other way.

If has_key is true, its supposed to [continue], but I just want it to play Speech "A" (which is Action 2, and ignore Speech "B" which is Action 4)

Action 3 will halt execution if has_key is true
  • Thanks for the explanation.  You can set the "After running" field in Action 2 to "Stop" - no need for an interim Action.