Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problems with Lip Sync for 2D sprite based characters

Hi,

I've been working with Adventure Creator for 2-3 months and I'm now having problems creating lip sync dialogue scenes.

Basically, I've been following the Adventure Creator tutorial http://www.adventurecreator.org/tutorials/adding-lip-syncing-2d-character-sprites

I'm currently working on the easiest animation method "From Speech Text" aiming at using a Pamela or Sapi file later on. However, I do not understand how you can associate the ANIMATION to the SPEECH. 

Taking the tutorial as a reference point I have created the "Brian Talk_D" animation and set up the Phoneme Editor with the 9 frames exactly as in the tutorial and I'm now stuck. What do you do next? How does Adventure Creator understand the the animation "Brian Talk_D" is the one that should be used for text lines of the Player? 

What happens with NPCs?

I'm completely stuck here. Please help.

Comments

• Brain will talk using an animation by the name of "BrainTalk_X", where X is a letter that denotes his facing direction - so when facing down he'll use "BrainTalk_D".

Without lipsyncing, this animation will run normally - i.e. it'll loop over and over at normal speed for as long as he's speaking.

When lipsyncing is enabled, the animation won't play normally.  Instead, AC will switch to different frames along the animation's timeline according to the current phoneme.  Which frames corespond to which phonemes is determined in the Phonemes Editor.

Open up the Phonemes Editor from the Speech Manager.  You'll need to enter in the number of frames your talking animation has into the "Number of frames" box, and then enter in which phonemes (separated by forward slashes "/") cause each frame to play.  You can automatically generate a default list of phonemes by clicking on "Revert to defaults".  This'll only be 5 frames, but this will be enough for you to see how it affects Brain has he speaks.