Forum rules - please read before posting.

My First Person Character only walk forward

Hi Chris,
I setup my Player prefab today as a FirstPerson Player and followed your tutorials. I've add the additional input axes, setup the Horizontal and Vertical axes. When I start my scene I can now toggle the cusor, so I could look arround. But I can only move forward with W-A-S-D or with my arrow keys.
  • Where is my fault? 
  • How can I set up to run or jump ?
Please give me a little help.
Best Regards Bernd

Comments

• Can you show screenshots of your input setup ?
  • Hi,
    here are the screenshots of my input settings.

• They look OK to me - you're saying you can only walk forward?  And your Movement method is set to First Person?  The only difference with mine is that I have "Snap" ticked for both Horizontal and Vertical.

It's not clear if this is because of the inputs or the Player prefab.  Try placing Tin Pot in your scene so that he overrides your own Player when you run the game - does it work then?  You can find him in /Assets/AdventureCreator/Demo/Resources.

Run and Jump are both Inputs that you will also need to define to get those features.  You can see a list of all available Inputs for your game halfway down the Settings Manager.
  • Ok Chris I will try......
  • Hi Chris,
    I setup Tin Pot with a First Person Cam and put it into my scene as First Person Player. Tin Pot is working fine. So the fault must be my Player Prefab.
    My Player Prefab is a Mecanim based Character and I set up this Prefab along your Tutorial. But maybe it's because of the animations I used?
    I don't knew what to do now :-( .
    Bernd

• Without seeing what you've done, I can only offer loose suggestions.  But if your Animator component has Root motion enabled, then it will override the First Person movement code.
  • Hi Chris,

GOAL ! This support here is so amazing! Root motion was enabled. I had to set up my Player Prefab completely new, because Unity doesn't accept removing the tick for Root motion in my old Player. But now my First Person Player works fine. I have to do some fine tuning now, because the walk speed is a little to  slow.
    Many thanks Chris!
    Best regards Bernd