Forum rules - please read before posting.

Alternate Tutorials.

Are there any alternative tutorials out there that I can follow, to create a 2D character of my own in a game of my own using adventure creator?
I have watched Chris Burton 's videos several times where he explains how to use the 2D demos assets in AC, but as much as I try, this does not help me understand how to create my own game.
In fact I don't feel I am learning much at all watching these, just following them without being able to understand why he is doing the things he is doing.
also I have tried reading the manual but much of it sounds like jargon to me, if anyone knows of any other tutorials I can follow, please comment.

Comments

• What are you not grasping about creating a game?

i thought the videos was more than enough to get going, the rest i learnt as i went.

Probably still thing I don't know how to do tho, and still picking up stuff after 6 months of using AC 
  • I must admit that I found the tutorials to be more than enough, but I've been playing around with game dev for years, so it just seemed like a natural progression for me to pick up Unity and AC.

Apologies if this is totally off the mark, but I feel a familiarity with what you're saying - it's something that I experienced a while ago.

I think that this is more of a game design issue, rather than a game development one.

So think about it, picklegreen: what do you want your game to entail? What is the gameplay? Who are the characters, and how do they interact with the world and one another? Think of a few basic scenarios that you'd like your player to encounter: item gathering, conversations with other characters, putting items together to create new items which can be used to solve puzzles (a puzzle being anything from ropes and levers to dialogue to mini-games), exploration of the environment to discover new locations.

Once you have a basic idea in mind, your next step is to think about how to do it. Exploration means you need to find a way for your player character to move and animate as they do so. Dialogue means you need additional characters (non-player characters (NPCs)), likely with their own animations. Item collection or puzzle solving means you need to keep track of an inventory. Some gameplay entails simply adjusting variables (numbers or words that the game keeps track of, like character "hit points" or check points along the way).

All of the above is covered in the tutorial, or at least the tutorial gives you a good start and the manual takes care of the rest.

I get the impression that you're feeling overwhelmed by all of the options and possibilities. Try to narrow your focus to minute details and scenarios, and build up from there. I would definitely caution against trying to make a big game first - you probably have a number of big ideas - and focus on something small and manageable for now.

If you're ever stuck for inspiration, either technical or theoretical, or just want to catch up on the usage of common game development jargon, try read or watch a few postmortems and talks on well-known games. Gamasutra usually has loads, and GDC archives most of their presentations.
  • edited January 2016
    Everything GeometriX said ...

I personally find the manual and Chris' official tutorials extremely well done, but there's obviously a lot of general and Unity-specific material that's not covered.

It may all seem quite overwhelming to you at this point, but if you invest the time in getting to know Unity and game development in general, all the pieces will (slowly) start to fall into place.

http://unity3d.com/learn has lots of general Unity tutorials for all levels of experience. There's also much to be found on YouTube - of varying quality, of course.

AC builds on Unity, so when you're comfortable with the basics of that, AC will make a lot more sense.

• Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting started, @picklegreen.  While I agree with the others that having a good foundation knowledge of Unity is important when using AC or indeed any asset, don't forget that you can always ask questions on specific aspects of using it in this forum.