Forum rules - please read before posting.

I want to make an adventure game made entirely out of animated GIFs, full motion video, and photos

It seems from what I've read that Unity's free version won't allow me to do this, which would mean (sadly) that I couldn't use Adventure Creator. Is that correct?

To explain: I want to make a Myst/Riven-style game, with a slideshow-like interface just like those games, except each static view would be an animated GIF (or "cinemagraph" if you want to sound fancy ;)).

There will be hotspots on the animated GIF, which, if clicked on, might start a full screen video, or give the player the ability to move an object in the scene (which would be a photo cut-out of the object). 

The idea isn't to create a completely photo-real world. Instead, it should feel like a stylized photo collage, with moving elements here and there.

So...what do you think? Can I use Adventure Creator? And if (as I suspect) I can't, what should I use instead? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Comments

• I don't believe Unity supports GIFs directly, but you can always use a script package to convert it to a sprite-sheet.  You can then play it as an animation that plays in your scene.

For day-to-day features, Unity 5's Free edition is pretty much the same as Unity 5 Pro, so you can still play full-screen video even in the free edition.  AC comes with a movie-playing Action, but the supported file types have to match those supported by Unity itself: see this page.

While AC isn't specifically geared towards Myst-style games, I don't see anything technically that would make it impossible to make one with.